Spiced plum streusel cake
Ingredients for crumble:
- ½ cup spelt flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 50g cold butter
Ingredients for spiced plums and cake:
- 750g (or 10 large) red or black plums
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- ¼ tsp sea salt flakes
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp ground cloves
- 250g coconut oil, melted
- 2 cup wholemeal spelt flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp powdered icing sugar to serve
1. Preheat oven to 170°C (150°C fan-forced)
2. Rub together flour, sugar and butter in bowl, until rough crumbs form.
3. If dough comes together into a ball, that’s ok – pinch bits off and use as crumble.
4. Place in the fridge while you prepare the base.
Spiced plum and cake base:
5. Wash plums, pat dry, cut in quarters, remove stone.
6. Using electric mixer on high, beat eggs, sugar, vanilla essence and sea salt until pale and fluffy, and roughly doubled in size. Reduce speed to medium, add spices and melted coconut oil in a slow and steady stream.
7. Reduce speed to low and add flour and baking powder, mix to combine.
8. Pour batter into lined tin (20x30cm), dot snugly with plum quarters, skin-side down.
9. Sprinkle with crumb mixture. Bake 45-50 minutes.
10. Cool on wire rack before dusting with icing sugar.