vegan | refined sugar-free | makes 8 buns
Spelt Flour Hot Cross Buns
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Mix together flour, yeast, sugar, salt and spices in a large bowl. Make well in centre.
- Add milk, coconut oil and orange zest to small pan, heat for a few minutes till mixture is warm.
- Add wet ingredients and chia egg to well in dry ingredients. Mix until a dough is formed.
- Knead dough on floured service for 5 minutes. Then return to bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for around 1 hour.
- Divide dough into 8 equal sized pieces. Shape into a smooth ball then arrange them on a baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Brush with warmed maple syrup for a lovely shine and use melted chocolate to make crosses.