Recipe taken from “Gluten Free Grain Free, Food We Love” by Tania Hubbard.
Chia Seed & Almond Meal Bread
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- 60ml water
- 1 1/2 cups arrowroot (or tapioca)
- 2 tsp bicarb soda (or baking soda) sifted
- 2 cups almond meal
- pinch of salt
- 6 eggs
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
1. Preheat oven to 175ºC.
2. Soak chia seeds in water while preparing dry mix. Stir to make sure seeds are in the water.
3. Sift arrowroot and bicarb in a bowl, add almond meal and salt. Mix well with a whisk to combine the dry ingredients to help break up lumps and distribute ingredients evenly.
4. Add eggs, soaked chia seeds and apple cider vinegar.
5. Combine everything well until there are no lumps (about 1 minute of whisking). Don’t be tempted to add any liquid, mix is meant to be thick.
6. Pour mix into a baking tin lined with non-stick baking paper or a silicon bread mould lightly oiled with olive oil.
7. Bake for 45 minutes exactly until the bread is firm to the touch and bounces back when lightly pressed. The top will be light golden in colour. (the ingredients can be halved to make a smaller loaf – half loaf cooking time is approximately 25 minutes)
8. Remove bread from the oven and turn out onto a cooling rack.
For savoury loaf, use ingredients as above and add the following before putting into baking tin: 6-8 black olives halved; ½ tsp fresh rosemary, chopped; ½ tsp fresh thyme, chopped; ½ tsp freshly ground pepper; 2 tbsp olive oil and ¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled.
If using dried herbs use only ¼ teaspoon of each.
Combine everything well using a whisk making sure there are no lumpy bits of almond meal or arrowroot.
Bake for approximately 30 to 35 minutes or until the bread is firm to the touch and bounce back when lightly pressed. The top will be light golden in colour.