Hearty immune boosting casserole
1kg organic beef chuck, diced
1 litre organic bone broth (add 5 tbsp Cherry Tree Bone Broth powder to 1 litre boiling water – allow to come to room temperature)
4 golden shallots, sliced
6 cloves garlic, peeled
2 carrots, diced
2 parsnips, diced
1 tbsp organic tomato paste
50ml apple cider vinegar
2 tsp organic maple syrup
60ml extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ tablespoon Celtic salt
1 tsp cracked black pepper
5 sprigs of thyme
- Preheat oven to 170°C
- In bowl coat beef in half oil (30ml) and 1 tbsp of salt
- Place a heavy-based roasting tray on a moderate heat on stove top.
- Brown beef on all sides and remove from tray and set aside to rest.
- Add remaining oil to the roasting tray, add shallots and brown them gently. Add parsnips, carrots, garlic and remaining salt to pan, continue to cook until golden brown.
- Return beef to the pan, fold in tomato paste and maple syrup and allow to caramelise slightly.
- Add apple cider vinegar to the pan and continue to cook for a few minutes until meat and vegetables are coated in sticky glaze.
- Add bone broth and simmer
- Simmer for 10-12 minutes until liquid has reduced by a third. Add thyme and cover with foil or lid and place in oven for two hours.