Did you wake up on January 1st vowing to eat better and drink less? If feeling better is on your radar for 2021, read on to find the best tips to detox your liver.
An effective plan for detoxing your body, liver, mind and lifestyle combines elements from both Western and Eastern traditional medicine, along with cleansing superfoods, herbs and supplements. Complementary approaches, such as essential oils and mental health techniques like affirmations, add inspiration and guidance.
Cleanse your system
- Drink eight glasses of pure mineral or filtered water daily to prevent dehydration and flush out toxins. In traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), cold water is said to weaken the digestive organs, so drink it at room temperature.
- Turn detective and try to identify any food intolerances that may be weakening your body and taxing your digestive system. Keep a diary for two weeks, noting every food you eat and how you feel afterwards. The most common culprits are wheat, cow’s milk and dairy foods, citrus fruits, coffee and certain nuts, especially peanuts.
- Cut back – or preferably avoid altogether – your intake of the following: fatty, fried foods, processed meats, convenience foods, products containing added sugar and genetically modified or irradiated ingredients. Eat whole, fresh foods and choose organic produce and packaged foods wherever possible.
- Eat more lightly steamed vegetables and vegetable soups – TCM practitioners recommend vegetables which are thought to support the stomach and spleen, such as sweet potatoes and other root vegetables.
- Cold-pressed virgin olive oil and flaxseed, pumpkin seed and walnut oils all provide healthy essential fatty acids – we’re big fans of Melrose Organic 3-6-7-9 Omega Oil, a premium blend of flaxseed, sacha inchi seeds, hempseed, avocado and macadamia oils, to give you the perfect balance of omega-3, -6, -7 and -9 fatty acids.
- Eat small quantities of lean organic protein each day to optimise energy. Eggs, poultry and oily fish are all good sources, while soy foods (tofu, tempeh, edamame), lentils, nutritional yeast and hempseed will suit a vegetarian or vegan diet. Pea protein and spirulina are nutritional powerhouses which provide protein and important minerals – start the day with a White Wolf Vegan Protein Shake to support digestion and immunity, reduce blood pressure and improve cholesterol levels. Still hungry? A small bowl of Natural Road Prebiotic Vegan Toasted Macadamia Muesli or Brookfarm Gluten Free Bircher Cranberry & Tart Cherry Muesli will provide long-lasting sustained energy.
- Ensure that you have a good supply of complex carbohydrates, such as brown rice and high-quality protein, as this will keep your blood sugar levels stable. If you crave something sweet-tasting, reach for a natural source, such as dates, or treat yourself to a yummy Locako Keto Collagen Brownie Bite – we love the Vanilla Hazelnut variety. Swap out regular sugar for a natural sweetener like stevia when you are cooking or baking.
Make different choices
- Enzyme-rich foods, like pineapple, kiwifruit, papaya and sprouted foods, help your body to digest and assimilate food properly. If your diet is inadequate, take Herbs of Gold Digest-Zymes.
- Eliminate or at least cut back on tea, coffee and other caffeinated drinks. These all inhibit nutrient absorption and can cause dehydration. Swap to a delicious alternative like Kintra Foods Dandy Chai Detox Blend. Or, if you prefer a savoury beverage, try Best of the Bone Organic Turmeric-Ginger Bone Broth.
- Use seaweed regularly in cooking for its detoxifying properties. It contains sodium alginate which binds toxic heavy metals and radioactive materials into harmless salts for elimination through the intestines. A tasty way to enjoy seaweed’s health benefits while also reducing your salt intake is to swap conventional salt for Pacific Harvest Seaweed Salt.
- Aloe vera juice stimulates the movement of waste through the colon, improves liver health and repairs damage in the gastrointestinal tract, so that fewer toxins can enter the bloodstream. NutriVital Premium Gut Support Complex Powder contains aloe vera, as well as turmeric, slippery elm bark, marshmallow, globe artichoke and inulin, to support gut health and detoxification. Natural Road Psyllium Husks add bulk and speed the transit of waste, along with also lifting impacted material and harmful bacteria off the colon wall. Take a course of NutriVital Premium Liver Support with milk thistle, schisandra and selenium to help support normal healthy liver function. With globe artichoke traditionally used in Western herbal medicine to maintain healthy liver. These herbs also may help assist with sluggish digestion. Try Herbs of Gold Elderberry, Echinacea and Olive Leaf Liquid to improve immunity and detoxification.
- Pollutants found in conventional household and personal care products can trigger nausea and rashes. When you buy clothes, favour natural fabrics, such as bamboo and organic cotton. Skip deodorants containing toxic metals like aluminium and choose natural body lotions and cosmetics; two of Go Vita’s favourite skin and haircare brands are Weleda and The Jojoba Company. Choose household cleaning products that are natural and eco-friendly. In the kitchen, avoid single-use plastics and swap to Honeybee Reusable Beeswax Wraps instead.
Lift your spirit
- Essential oils encourage detoxification and stimulate lymphatic drainage. Try tea tree oil for its powerful antifungal and antiviral properties; eucalyptus oil, which has a strong affinity with the immune and respiratory systems and is also uplifting and helps to release negative feelings or grief; and frankincense, which is said to strengthen the body’s physical and spiritual defence systems.
- Support detoxification and improve circulation and skin health with daily dry skin-brushing. For two minutes before your morning shower, use a long-handled, natural-bristle brush to gently brush upwards from the feet, over the legs, towards the heart and chest, and then brush from each hand to the armpits and up from the buttocks to the back of the neck.
- Changing the way you think can ease negative thoughts, fears and worries. Affirmations – simple, short statements of intent, such as “I am loved” or “I am safe” – help to retrain the subconscious mind by harnessing the power of positive thinking. Using affirmations in conjunction with regular supplementation is a potent mind detox tool.
NutriVital Premium Gut Support Complex powder contains glutamine which supports healthy gastrointestinal function and chamomile, traditionally used in Western Herbal Medicine to improve digestive weakness.