Sugar-free ice cream cake
Looking for an alternative or an accompaniment to traditional Christmas pudding? Try this sugar-free ice cream cake – not only does it look amazing, but it tastes delicious too even without sugar!
- Line base of 17cm spring form tin with baking paper. Scrape vanilla pod seeds into saucepan, add pods and milk and bring to boil. Remove from heat. Remove pods.
- Use electric beater to beat egg yolks and xylitol in bowl on high speed until pale and creamy. Use balloon whisk, gradually pour the boiling milk over egg mixture, while quickly whisking. Pour mixture back into saucepan and heat gently, stirring constantly until custard thickens and coats back of spoon.
- Raspberry layer: Pour 200ml of custard layer into a bowl, add puree, rosewater and cream. Mix well and refrigerate.
- Vanilla layer: Pour 250ml of custard layer into a bowl, add cream, mix well and refrigerate.
- Chocolate layer: Pour remaining 200ml warm custard into a bowl, add chocolate, mix well. Add cream mix again and refrigerate.
- Follow instructions on ice cream maker to first churn raspberry layer. Spoon into prepared pan , smooth over with spatula. Freeze. Repeat with vanilla layer then smooth over the raspberry layer. Freeze. Lastly churn chocolate layer. Spoon on top of vanilla layer and freeze over night.
- Decorate with berries and shaved chocolate to serve.